The Finance Department is responsible for all aspects of the Town’s accounting and financial records and meeting all State and Federal reporting mandates. The purpose is to provide accurate and transparent accounting of all Town’s assets. The Finance Department receives all revenues, and is responsible for all purchasing and disbursement of payments for expenses. The Department is also responsible for all banking, reconciliation of accounts and records management.
Finance plays a significant role in developing, coordinating, and monitoring all phases of the Town's operating budget. The primary goal of Finance is to provide timely and accurate financial information and recommendations to the Town Manager's office and elected officials. Monthly reports are also prepared and provided to the Board for approval.
The Town of Nolensville understands and values the importance of managing the Town's finances in a fiscally responsible manner, providing for a budget and action plan that is both fiscally prudent and consistent in maintaining our commitment to community service. The annual operating budget serves as a financial plan and operations guideline that provides funding for existing service levels, major investments including capital projects and debt service.
The creation of the annual operating budget represents a significant effort across the departments, in conjunction with the Finance Department and the Town Manager’s office. This year, we have published the 2nd Edition of the Town of Nolensville FY 2022 - 2023 Annual Budget Book. The goal is to prepare a comprehensive budget package that meets the criteria of the Government Finance Officers Association’s (GFOA) Distinguished Budget Presentation Award program which our Finance Department has won for the second year!
We are honored for share the Town of Nolensville and Finance Department has been recognized by the Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury for our timely adoption of a balanced budget for our fiscal year beginning July 1, 2022. To view the full report, please follow the link: click here.
Finance Department 2021-2022 Accomplishments
- Created the Town's first comprehensive budget package that met the criteria of the Government Finance Officers Association Distinguished Budget Presentation Award program.
- Reconstructed an outdated Debt Management Policy to bring the Town up to date on policies that are needed now, as well as in the future as the Town grows.
- Implemented a Capital Projects Policy, within the new Debt Management Policy, to help guide the newly formed Capital Improvements Plan with funds set aside in the new Capital Improvements Fund.
- Converted the Town's current chart of accounts to the State's standard chart of accounts to align and provide clear and consistent reporting with the State.
- Launched a Fiscal Transparency Module to provide web-based data using dynamic infographics that visually and efficiently tell the Town's financial story.
- Implementation of the Town's software from a dated and limited on premise reporting platform to a cloud- based solution that will provide efficiencies, eliminated redundancies, and streamline manual processes across departments.