Building Codes FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is required to make application for a permit?
Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the 2018 International Codes, or cause any such work to be done.
What work is exempt from making an application for a permit?
  1. One-story detached accessory structures, provided that the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2).
  2. Fences not over 7 feet (2134 mm) high.
  3. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
  4. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 927 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  5. Sidewalks and driveways.
  6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
  7. Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
  8. Swings and other playground equipment.
  9. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  10. Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.
  11. Roof covering replacement that does not involve the replacement of structural components.
Do you enforce any subdivision covenants or restrictions?
The Town of Nolensville is not permitted to enforce any subdivision covenants or restrictions which are private agreements created by developers. However The Town of Nolensville strongly recommends that you get permission from your HOA before applying for a permit of any type.
What is the adopted version of the building codes for the Town of Nolensville?
The Town of Nolensville refers to the 2018 I-Codes.
Who do I contact if I am building in Williamson County and not within the city limits of Nolensville?
Williamson County Codes: (615) 791-5725
What are the permitted hours for building construction?

11-401 (8) allows the following for construction work hours:
Monday-Saturday 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, or dark, whichever may fall first
Sunday 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM, or dark, whichever may fall first