Welcome to

Nolensville Tennessee "A Great Place to Live"

Civil War  | 

 

 

The Home Place
The 'Home Place' (now a bed & breakfast), one of the oldest houses in Nolensville, was built in the early-mid 1800's.

Old Time Religion
Nolensville United Methodist Church was organized in 1837 with a congregation of 37 members.

William Nolen, along with his wife Sarah and five children, were traveling through middle Tennessee, in 1797, when his wagon broke down causing the family to delay traveling until the wagon was repaired.  After inspecting the local terrain, William Nolen noted the area had an abundance of game and clean creek water.  These resources convinced him and his family that they needed to travel no further.  He and his family built their log cabin home and farm in the area now called Nolensville, Tennessee.

The first town lots were sold to George Barnes in 1819, 1/2 acres for $55.

Nolensville's Plan of Incorporation passed the Tennessee senate on January 22, 1838.  The plan specified corporate limits as well as identifying 23 numbered lots and 3 unnumbered lots with owners names associated with each lot.

On March 19, 1845 the Charter for Incorporation was drawn up for Nolensville Academy to confer degrees or certificates of proficiency.  The charter read as follows:  "The support of any library or scientific undertaking as a college or University with ____ to pay for degrees in Academy, a debating society licensed, the establishment of a library, the support of a historical society, the promotion of painting, music, or the fine arts, plus the support of Boards of Trade or Chambers of Commerce or other objects of like nature."

On March 19, 1875 a charter was passed by the General Assembly for Nolensville Male and Female Academy.

A road well traveled...

Nolensville Road was also known as Fishing Ford Road, Perkins Pike, Nolensville Turnpike, Horton Highway, and US 31A-41A.  Toll gates were operated about every 3 miles until the county and state took over the road.

The stagecoach ran from Chapel Hill to Nashville, changing horses in Nolensville, until it was discontinued in 1910.  Bargo Brittain operated a 'jitney' service and carried mail from Nashville to Nolensville.

The paved road through Nolensville began construction in 1927 with the bridges between Nolensville and Triune being built in 1932.

Disasters...

It was January, 1953 when fires destroyed five buildings and damaged three others before three fire department brought the blazes under control with the use of Mill Creek as the only source of water.

December, 1968,  three buildings were destroyed when fire struck again.  Fire engines from Franklin, Nashville, Smyrna, Lavergne, College Grove, and Brentwood came to the rescue using Mill Creek as the water source.

1979 saw Mill Creek flood into the Nolensville Trailer Park and homes north of Nolensville.  In 1984, flood waters covered the highway and lots from the Recreation Center to the Davidson County line, causing Nolensville Road to close.  Storms with area tornado warnings dropped nine inches of rain on the countryside.  Flooding at the Nolensville Elementary School caused 200 students to be transferred to the Nolensville United Methodist Church.

other tidbits...

The John Nolen Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution was established in 1968, in memory of John Nolen (brother of William Nolen) and his services in the American Revolution.

Byrd Hamlet raised the first hogshead of tobacco in middle Tennessee.

William Nolen

Born in Albemarle County, Virginia, in 1760.  He lived in North Carolina during the American Revolution and received an land grant of 100 acres on the waters of Mill Creek on August 20, 1804 in consideration of military service performed in the Revolutionary War.

William and Sarah had eleven more children while in Tennessee.  Legend has it that cow bells were tied around the children's necks to protect them from the Indians and from getting lost in a nearby cave.

  1. Lee (b. 1785) married Mary Turner

  2. Sally (b. 1787) married Mr. Cantrell

  3. Stephen (b. 1790)

  4. William Jr. (b. 1793) married Peggy McCarroll

  5. Delia (b. 1795) married Thomas King

  6. Nancy (b. 1802) married Mr. Stanley

  7. John (b. 1803) married Mary Newsom

  8. unknown

  9. Anna (b. 1806) married Littleberry Johnson

  10. Green (b. 1808) married Frances Morton

  11. Caroline (b. 1810) married Anderson Johnson

  12. Belinda (b. 1812) married William Nevins

  13. Emily (b. 1815) married Baalem Barnes

  14. Zebulen (b. 1817)

  15. Auslem (b. 1817)

  16. Sarah (b. 1818) married Godfrey Newsom

William Nolen served as a juror in 1812 during the third murder trial of the Magness brothers who were charged with killing Patten Anderson, a friend of Andrew Jackson.  The trial lasted for one week and ended in a verdict of 'not guilty'.  The Magness brothers still served time because they could not pay for the court costs.

William Nolen died in 1850 at the age of 90.  His will divided his possessions among his wife and children.