Town of Nolensville
Board of Mayor and Aldermen Meeting
Date: December 2, 2010, Time 7:00 p.m.
Nolensville Recreation Center
Mayor Beth Lothers opened the meeting at 7:00 p.m. Members present were Mayor Lothers, Aldermen Jimmy Alexander, Tommy Dugger, Larry Felts, and Brian Snyder. Staff present: Counsel Robert Notestine, Town Planner Henry Laird, Engineer Don Swartz, and Recorder Cindy Lancaster. There were 17 citizens present.
Reverend Alfred Bennett led the prayer and Pledge.
Reverend Alfred Bennett, 7181 Nolensville Road, spoke of a recent book he had read by C. S. Lewis, and referred to scripture from Genesis. He stated to hold your head up high and look at life in a new way.
Alderman Dugger made a motion to approve the regular meeting minutes of November 4, 2010, Alderman Felts seconded. There were no additions or corrections and the minutes were approved unanimously.
Alderman Snyder made a motion to approve the Beer Board minutes of October 28, 2010, Alderman Alexander seconded. There were no additions or corrections and the minutes were approved unanimously.
Mayor Lothers made a motion to defer the treasurer’s report of October 2010, due to the timeframe of obtaining the report, Alderman Alexander seconded the motion. The vote was taken with unanimous approval to defer this report.
Chair Rick Owens reported for the Planning Commission
* Site plan for Town Hall was approved
* Bond report was approved with the extension of Haley Industrial Park
Town Planner Henry Laird reported for the Planning Department
* A presentation of the Tennessee Downtown Program, and a presentation by the Trees and Trails Committee will be on next months Planning Commission agenda
* Mandatory training was performed last week by the majority of the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals and Historic Commissioners
* Updates for the Zoning Ordinance pertaining to signs is ongoing
Town Engineer Don Swartz reported for the Engineering Department
* Numerous bids were received and opened for the Town Hall project
* The Historic District sewer is complete
* Minor repairs are being made to the traffic signal at Rocky Fork and Nolensville Roads
* Sunset and Nolensville Road traffic count was completed. The count has satisfied the criteria for a signal. Next step will be to go before the State for approval
* Research has been performed on Hyde and Batey Roads. These roads were never dedicated to the Town and Engineer Swartz recommends that the Town cease maintaining these roads.
* After research King Street was never dedicated. Engineer Swartz did not recommend this Street cease maintenance by the Town
Chief Chris Bastin reported for the Volunteer Fire Department
* Distributed written statistics through September to the Board
Chief Paul Rigsby reported for the Police Department
* Recently attended the Chief’s Association Meeting in Nashville
* This month there have been many investigations and court attendance
* The County has been working many break-ins around the Nolensville area
Mayor Lothers stated that there has been a public safety alert placed on the Nolensville web site. She advised the audience and citizens to be conscious of their personal property.
Alderman Dugger inquired about tazers that were approved in the budget. Chief Rigsby stated this is still being reviewed and guidelines will be addressed in memo form in order not to wait on the entire SOP being revamped.
There was not a report for the Town Events Committee, although Mayor Lothers thanked this Committee for their continued hard work.
a. Joe “Rossi” Rositano Presentation
Alderman Larry Felts presented the Rositano family a memorial that will be displayed in the new Town Hall depicting Joe Rosi in his role as a Nolensville Alderman. Alderman Felts spoke about former Alderman Rositano and honoring his memory. He noted that the Nolensville Road was a memorial in his honor.
b. Tennessee Downtown Program
Mayor Lothers presented a 30 page Power Point presentation for the audience and Board. She distributed the written portion of the application that was submitted to the State.
c. Christmas Tree Lighting
Mayor Lothers announced the Annual Christmas Tree Lighting would be held on Tuesday, December 7, at 6:30 at the Nolensville Public Library.
d. Tourism Launch – March 22, 2011
Mayor Lothers said the official date for the Tourism Launch is March 22, 2011. She distributed the brochure to the Board noting Nolensville would be on the “Jack Trail”.
Mayor Lothers stated that she had met with the County to discuss the turn lane on Sunset Road. Also, the sidewalk adjacent to Winterset Woods was discussed.
Town Engineer Swartz stated that the Town had met with Metro about the sewer installation and the finances were discussed. Metro is allowing property owners to pay in full by February 10th or they can initiate a payment plan beginning March 1st 2011.
A Special Board Meeting will be called to read a resolution for the guaranteed maximum amount for American Constructors, the Construction Managing firm for Town Hall.
Second reading of Ordinance #10-04, an ordinance to amend the Municipal Code Title 15, Chapter 6, as it pertains to parking.
Mayor Lothers noted that this was previously approved on first reading. Since that approval, Planner Laird submitted a memo to the Board amending this ordinance. Mayor Lothers made a motion to approve Ordinance #10-04, on second reading with the Alternative 1 verbiage as submitted by Planner Laird, Alderman Alexander seconded. The vote was taken and was approved unanimously as amended.
Second reading of Ordinance #10-07, an ordinance to amend the Municipal Code Title 9, Chapter 1, as it pertains to solicitation.
Mayor Lothers stated that she does not feel that this document is ready to move forward. Chief Rigsby said that this is what he feels should be in place due to complaints made by residents. Mayor Lothers recommended that this be deferred so Counsel Notestine can review. After extensive discussion Alderman Dugger made a motion to defer this ordinance, Alderman Felts seconded and this deferral passed unanimously.
Alderman Dugger congratulated Mayor-Elect Alexander, Aldermen Lothers and Snyder. Mayor Lothers thanked Aldermen Dugger for his long-term service. Alderman Alexander thanked Mayor Lothers for her past four years of service. Alderman Felts ask that pictures be hung on a wall in the new Town Hall of past Mayors and Board members.
Meeting adjourned at 8:05.
Respectfully submitted, Approved,
Cindy Lancaster Beth Lothers
Town Recorder Mayor